[plug] Flash 'cookies'

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Sat Feb 6 15:39:43 WST 2010

Steve Boak wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just read this disturbing article about LSOs or "Local Shared Objects" placed
> in the .macromedia folder by some Flash programs.
>
> http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/08/you-deleted-your-cookies-think-again/
>
> They apparently work like cookies, but are never deleted, and can be used by
> some Flash programs to 'backup' standard cookes and replace them if the cookie
> is deleted. It seems several advertising companies are already using them to
> track preferences and ad placements.
>
> I found 67 folders containing over 100 of the little beasties under
> ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/RZXX9SFB/ on my system (the
> 'RZXX9SFB' seems to be a randomly generated folder name).
>
> The filenames are all *.sol, most seemed to be innocuous settings for volume
> controls etc. Contents can be viewed with hexdump. There appears to be an
> identifying string of 'TCSO' in bytes 6-9 then a series of ascii key and
> binary(?) value pairs.
>
> The flash cookies are not encrypted, and Flash is not required to create,
> read, or write these files, so any private information stored within them is
> open to any application with access to your home directory.
>
> There is a Firefox addon to control them and more information at
>
> Adobe provides more information at
> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html
> and a rather cumbersome control panel to control or even delete these LSOs at
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
>
> I used this to clean up the files on my system, and it did delete them all.
>
> Steve

I found another copy of the same .sol files here:
~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.