[plug] boot from stick

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Tue Jan 12 13:23:08 WST 2010

Orm (and others),

Just for future reference (as it appears you have already managed to
created a bootable device).....

When we talk about burning an 'image' it's not just a matter of copying
or burning the downloaded iso file to a CDR.

Think of it like this...

Imagine you have special guests coming for dinner:   you go to a great
deal of trouble to set the table "just right" with all the cutlery and
crockery exactly where it should be....   but then, to your horror,  you
realise that you need to use the dinning room table for something else
first (like building a new PC - that what I use my table for!).  Bugger!

You now have two options:  Take everything off the table (item at a
time) and put it all away, only to go through the whole setup process
again later.... or

(do not try this at home)

... you could grab the corners of the table cloth and pick it all up at
once....  tie a big not in it and put it to one side until you are ready
to set the table again....  (and now the tricky bit)...  by simply
reversing the process  ;-)

A CD or DVD 'image' is like the table cloth with all the stuff folded
away 'neatly' inside:   Burning the "image" to a disk is a different
process to just copying (or burning) a single file to a disk, in the
same way as putting the "knotted up" table cloth back on the table will
not 'fix' your problem:  You need to unpack it too.

Look for the option:  "burn image to disk" or similar in the menu of
your CD burning software: The process of 'unpacking' is automatic.

I hope this helps.....   (and for you geeks on this list...   I trust
this was entertaining!   ;-)

Cheers,
Peter