[plug] Help with grub please [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Mon Jan 18 21:14:59 WST 2010

Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
>     0n Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 03:27:08PM +0800, Kev wrote:
>
>     >I'm in urgent need of some help with grub 1.97 (Ubuntu Karmic Netbook
>     >Remix).  I've just finished resizing my Remix partition using GParted
>     >and the PartedMagic CD.  My only way in at the mo is using a separate
>     >boot disk - in this case Super Grub Disk 2.
>     >
>     >
>     >On a root console if I type grub I'm told that grub isn't installed.
>     >So, as per the onscreen instruction I type apt-get install grub and it
>     >does this without hesitation or error.  Still grub fails at boot time
>     >with this error message
>     >
>     >    GRUB loading.
>     >
>     >    error: file not found
>     >
>     >    grub rescue>_
>     >
>     >
>     >The last line is a prompt.  At this stage I'm at a complete loss, not
>     >being a command line jockey in any way at all.  I had it in mind that
>     >grub 2 looked at the partitions at boot time and dynamically created its
>     >boot menu on the fly.  I did had EasyPeasy in sda6 and remix in sda7,
>     >with a windows partition in sda1.  I removed EasyPeasy and stretched
>     >Remix to fill the void, and I see that remix is now in sda6.  I figure
>     >that's the problem but with grub2 I'm at a loss to fix it.
>
> apparently karmic changed from grub version 1 to grub version two. please see:
>    [http://icewalkerz.blogspot.com/2009/10/ubuntu-karmic-changes-between-grub-1x.html]
>
>   -Alex
>
> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Thanx Alex.  Unfortunately, however, rtfm just does't work because I'm
at least 1 level below that on the ignorance scale.  I'm afraid that
that site only increases the confusion, particularly given that the file
most discussed starts with a great big warning, written in large
friendly letters; "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE".  Apart from that, I think my
problem is before that in the boot process.  Grub can't even be found cf;
 >     >    GRUB loading.
 >     >
 >     >    error: file not found
 >     >
 >     >    grub rescue>_

I'm afraid I really need help coz I simply don't know enough to rtfm and
work it out.

Thanx,
Kev

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.