[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook (fwd)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Jan 31 19:47:09 WST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, David Buddrige wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:06:49 +0800
> From: David Buddrige <dbuddrige at bigpond.com>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] trying to buy a linux netbook
>
> thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.  I picked up an eepc 1000HE
> this
> morning from PLE.  Came with XP, but I also picked up an external dvd
> reader/writer
> so I can load up ubuntu.  It's a bit annoying, but such is life I guess.  The
> computer itself is a beaut. Lovely, and light and handy.  Thanks again
> everyone.
>
> cheers
>
> David. 8-)

If you had waited a little bit, whilst it does not meet all of your specs;

go to http://www.coles.com.au/Default.aspx and scroll across to:

"Acer eM250 eMachines Netbook $389 at Coles";

http://catalogues.coles.com.au/portal/offerdetails/acer-em250-emachines-netbook/12645461225072?CatalogueID=12640265798067&tab=list&N=4294924703+501&Ns=OfferOnPage%7C0&source=productlist

"Acer eM250 eMachines Netbook
$389.00
Starts 28 January - Ends 03 February
10.1" LED screen. Wireless connections. Integrated webcam. Multi-in-1 card
reader. Weight 1.1kg. Microsoft Windows XP. 160GB hard drive disc 1GB RAM.
Intel Atom Processor 1.6GHz. 1 year warranty."

> From
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/01/closer-look-at-the-emachines-em250-netbook.html
;

"if youre looking for a more detailed overview, YouTube member a1mega has
posted an 8 minute video showing the netbook running Windows 7 Starter Edition
as well as Jolicloud, a custom Linux distribution designed for netbooks.

The laptop has a 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive,
and a 3 cell battery which should be good for 3-4 hours of run time. The
keyboard looks decent, although the touchpad looks pretty small to me."

So, it appears to be compatible with linux.

In going to amazon.com, the netbook, with a 250GB HDD can be delivered to WA,
for total cost of about $378.

For a longer batter life, a model is available with an 6-cell battery, for up
to 8 hours battery life, for 50USD (about 55AUD) more.

:)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale