[plug] Physical to digital mail scanning service?

Russell Steicke russellsteicke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:04:59 WST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Peter <demo9 at gswd.com> wrote:
> I actually wonder about the legality of this type of service?  Isn't reading
> other peoples mail supposed to be illegal or some such?

Relatives of mine found out that this is not the case at all, at least
after the mail has been delivered.  They bought a house and after
moving in found that their mail seemed to be delayed by a few days.
They then discovered that the previous owner had paid a kid down the
road to collect his mail from their letter box.  The kid was taking
all the mail home, his mother was sorting through it, and the kid
would bring the remainder back some time later.  That bit was
definitely illegal, but they found out from Australia Post that once
it's delivered there's no obligation at all.  So they put a lock on
the letter box and "filed" the previous owner's mail.

But to return to the topic, if you have a contract with a mail
forwarding service any reasonable person would assume that they would
be allowed to open your mail.

--
Virus found in this message.