[plug] SharePoint F/OSS equivalent

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Wed May 26 10:56:01 WST 2010

Hi ladies and germs,

I hope you've all had a good start to Hill Day!
I'm checking out F/OSS options for MS SharePoint, my employer has 2007 installed and they're trialling 2010 and the impression I get is it's a matter of "when" not "if" we upgrade.

I just sat in on a two hour meeting with a bunch of people, including two Microsoft employees who were doing their job nicely, ie selling SharePoint and all it's advantages but avoiding my questions about how much we'll have to upgrade our whole applications suite because, from what they tell me, to make SharePoing 2010 work, we'd also need to upgrade Office, Windows and everything else under the sun.

I've been browsing around a bit at F/OSS alternatives and there are quite a few but which one's does anyone on list have experience with and do you have any feedback?

Cheers
Kai