[plug] Licence use: OSL, Magento

home at oranges.id.au home at oranges.id.au
Thu Nov 4 12:24:02 WST 2010

Hi everyone,
A friend of mine would like to take the database schema from a Magento
eCommerce installation and use it to develop and sell licences for a
non-free piece of software. As per
http://www.magentocommerce.com/license/ Magento is distributed under
the OSL 3.0 licence http://www.opensource.org/licenses/osl-3.0.php

Does anyone have an overview understanding of that licence so we can
be lazy and avoid reading and trying to understand the entire thing?
More pertinently, is he allowed to do that?

I've read a few items on the web and the OSL seems to be in the realms
of the GNU GPL[1] but gnu.org says there are notable differences. In
any case, my friend's interest is not in the 'software code' per se,
rather the database schema. Are they to be treated any differently?

Cheers,
Greg.

--
Gregory Orange