[plug] Licence use: OSL, Magento

home at oranges.id.au home at oranges.id.au
Thu Nov 4 13:22:49 WST 2010

On 4 November 2010 12:46, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 12:23, home at oranges.id.au wrote:
>> A friend of mine would like to take the database schema from a Magento
>> eCommerce installation and use it to develop and sell licences for a
>> non-free piece of software.
>
> "A friend", eh?  Is this the same friend when we go to the doctors and talk
> about this friend's unusual rash? :)

Damn, my secret is out... except that development isn't my cup of tea.
I install someone else's code at every opportunity.

> Well, reference the OSL text at http://opensource.org/licenses/osl-3.0.php,
> the licence is fairly easy to read. It appears that you can copy (1a) and
> make a derived works (1b), and you can sell it commercially (2), but you
> must "carry a prominent Attribution Notice reasonably calculated to inform
> recipients that You have modified the Original Work". That's an advertising
> clause; if you use their software (and I'd include the schema and
> documentation under this unless stated elsewhere), then you'll probably need
> to have an "About box" or splash screen that says something like
> "Incorporates Magento Technology" or something like that.

Thank you James, I appreciate the effort. I have overwhelming feelings
of dread when I turn to a licence agreement. Maybe I'll overcome them
and read this one.

> I'd suggest chatting with the Magneto People and see if they are happy and
> what "Attribution Notice" text would be appropriate.

With your permission, I'll pass on all of your message to my friend,
including this specific recommendation. What say you?

Cheers,
Greg.

--
Gregory Orange