[plug] Meeting tonight?

Michael Holland michael.holland at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:44:42 WST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

> I quite liked the Mac's ability to lock screen when your phone was out of
> range. That was neat.

Sounds useful. Looking ... apt-get install blueproximity ...
Lets you choose phone from GUI, and set sensitivity, etc, and you can
run an arbitrary command.
Nice except it doesn't actually lock my screen. Does detect the phone
distance though.

> to. But could be good to log comings and goings. Anyone know if there is
> already RFID in vehicles these days? Just think of the data you could log...

I think the e-TAG system for toll-roads over east uses an encrypted
transponder system to avoid those privacy issues.
You need a secret key to query them.

> We (Nick B, Mark T and I, plus others) installed an electronic door slam
> into the UCC back in the 1990's.

The ones that work with a standard lock in the door itself, and
release momentarily by solenoid?
Where do you get those? Googling, all I saw was electronic locks
operated by keypad or fingerprint.

cheers, Mike