[plug] Linux Friendly Broadband ISP's

Mitch Kelly mitch at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 22 15:11:13 WST 2010

Hi,

It isn't really a matter of being Compatible, Ethernnet will work on any OS,
The USB Side however wont, I have tried and tried to get the USB working on
the Bigpond modems and failed.

If you want a decent modem with Linux support for the USB go for an Open
Networks modem, Or get rid of the headache all together and use Ethernet.
(Open networks have a compliable version of their USB Driver)

As for your PSTN ring problem, It sounds like you don't have filters on the
line, Or a filter is broken. Do you have a Uniden cordless phone? These are
well known for needing 2 filters inline with each other.

Failing that, Call your ISP get them to test the line but to me it certainly
sounds like a CPE issue, And when i say CPE i don't specifically mean your
fault, But it could be something internal you don't know about, like the
cable running in the roof next to a mains cable.

Mitch