[plug] Old fashioned technology (was Re: Grub 2)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Nov 27 16:31:29 WST 2010

Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> writes:
> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 18:01 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> writes:

[...]

>> > I suppose...  Once again, I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the
>> > present!  Thanks Daniel.  Good points.
>>
>> FWIW, I also don't like grub2 very much. ;)
>>         Daniel
>>
>> I just accepted it because of the above.
>
> Bring back the boot loader that anyone could understand - LILO!!  ;-)

You made me twitch!  LILO is ... not my idea of fun.  Having to tell the boot
loader about changes is a total PITA and makes booting way more fragile.

> and CP/M and DOS 1.1 - who needs directories - although 1.1 did bring the
> advantage that it gave you 9 sectors on your diskettes instead of 8 and gave
> you a whopping 360 KB on a double sided disk - but I highjack the
> discussion, which I suspect has reached its logical conclusion already.

Heh.  You laugh, but the EFI boot loader (and the Alpha one) used a little FAT
formatted partition without any directories to hold the boot content.

I actually do like that as an approach: throw a small chunk of disk aside and
make it as simple as possible, so that the life of the boot loader is as
easy as it can be.

Plus, standard format, so easy for other folks to maintain too.
        Daniel