[plug] Old fashioned technology (was Re: Grub 2)

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Nov 27 17:21:55 WST 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 16:48 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 19:31 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Bring back the boot loader that anyone could understand - LILO!!  ;-)
> >
> > You made me twitch!  LILO is ... not my idea of fun.  Having to tell the boot
> > loader about changes is a total PITA and makes booting way more fragile.
>
> You did, I hope, notice the smiley conveying irony and general
> p*ss-taking?   ;-)
>
> If I made anyone twitch, my work is done ....   :-)

Sorry to reply to my own post, but on a more serious note, I once
compared LILO and Grub as the difference between compiled and
interpreted languages .... ie in LILO, you change things and run LILO
(the "compiler") and you're fairly certain all the components are on the
disk in the right places (doesn't mean they'll actually work), but in
grub, you change the "source code" and run it and there may be none of
the required files anywhere - well, it reminded me of coding BASIC and
coding something compiled .....

At the time, I was somehow 8unable to explain how I got the analogy -
Maybe others get it now, or someone can explain how the whole idea is
rubbish - remembering that it's an analogy and it's a slow weekend.  :-)

--
Richard Meyer

Welcome to the Internet:  Where men are men, women are men, and children
are FBI agents.

Linux Counter user #306629