[plug] Where to set an environment variable in CentOS?

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Sun Oct 3 22:53:29 WST 2010

Fred Janon wrote:
> I installed Tomcat6 on a CentOS distrib and I need to set an environment variable as indicated here in a user's post:
>
> ------------------
> Add the $CATALINA_HOME environment variable to your PATH.
> # vi /etc/profile
> CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19
> export CATALINA_HOME
> ------------------
> I checked the /etc/profile file and it doesn't seem to be the best place to add it.
>
> What would be the best directory/file to actually set the variable so it is set globally when the system boots?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After
reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the
first one that exists and is readable.

When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file
<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/#> exists.

Peter