[plug] Where to set an environment variable in CentOS?

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 14:55:33 WST 2010

Thanks Daniel!

--- On Mon, 10/4/10, Daniel Foote <freefoote at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Daniel Foote <freefoote at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [plug] Where to set an environment variable in CentOS?
To: plug at plug.org.au
Date: Monday, October 4, 2010, 7:14 AM

I installed Tomcat6 on a CentOS distrib and I need to set an environment variable as indicated here in a user's post:

------------------
Add the $CATALINA_HOME environment variable to your PATH.
# vi /etc/profile

CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19
export CATALINA_HOME
I checked the /etc/profile file and it doesn't seem to be the best place to add it.

Last time I installed Tomcat, I just adjusted the variables in the "start-catalina.sh" script which did the job. Just have to be careful if upgrading Tomcat, but we never had to do that with our live installations (4 of them) in the 18 months we had them.

In our case, we adjusted the memory limits for the instances, but any other variables should work there.

I hope this helps!

Daniel Foote.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au