[plug] Configuring dual screens as separate desktops on Ubuntu 10.4

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Thu Oct 14 15:21:28 WST 2010

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with setting up two separate
desktops for the following hardware config:-

1. ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] rev 0
2. Two 17 inch monitors (not identical) one connected to the VGA port
on the card and the other connected to the DVI port
3. Ubuntu 10.4

What I want to be able to do is to have two individual/independent
desktops that have there own panels and virtual desktops. Cut/Paste &
Drag/drop between desktops would also be nice.

Using the default Ubuntu "Configure Display Settings" app gets both
screens running but they don't act independently to each other (and it
also breaks compiz.(3D desktop)).

Saw someone talking about this kind of setup before on the list and
keen to track down some more info.

Michael Hunt