[plug] PLUG Meeting this week - Tues 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Apr 10 12:09:05 WST 2011

Hello all,

Three things in here:

  * This week's meeting - Tues 7:30pm - at UCC, UWA
  * This week's meeting - Tues 7:30pm - in your house/place of work!!
  * This week's meeting - Tues 7:30pm - in Katanning!

  This week's meeting

Firstly a reminder about this week's meeting at UWA where long-term PLUG
member Harry McNally will be talking about some work he is doing to get
a dormant Radiotelescope dish moving on the top of the UWA Physics
building. The project had languished and UCC were offered the job of
reviving it. The talk covers using an Arduino board to control the high
power stepper motor driver boards. The embedded software is based on a
software framework called Quantum Programming (QP) which allows a design
to be defined as state machines using UML statecharts. The code is dual
licensed so it is available under the GPL (and at no cost) for projects
where GPL is an appropriate distribution license.

The venue is The University Computer Club (UCC; www.ucc.asn.au), above
the Ref Tavern, UWA entrance #2 on Hacket Drive, Nedlands. Tel: (08)
6488 3901. Take the stairs, located on the south side of the building,
to the top floor. Sorry, no lift access to this location.

As normal, the event is free to attend, and no prior registration is
needed. Feel free to bring a friend.

  This week's meeting in your house/place of work!

The AV project has been assembling equipment, and we're going to try and
live stream the meeting from the UCC so that anyone unable to physically
attend can still watch, and via the magic of IRC, feed back questions
and comments. Please hang out on #plug on irc.plug.org.au (GimpNet) for
details; this is very much a test run so there is likely to be
interruptions to the stream, but we'll try our best. The stream will
appear at the right time on http://www.plug.org.au:8000/ (you wont see
it listed there just now).

  This week's meeting in Katanning!

With the advent of a live stream, comes our first regional gathering in
Katanning. Anyone within travelling distance of Katanning is welcome to
join Peter Taekema at Great Southern Computer Services to try and watch
the video stream and chat about .. well, anything... from 7pm onwards at
96 Clive Street, Katanning (08 9821 7306). There's a pizza shop next
door so you'll be able to get in the spirit! :)

PLUG is very open to anyone else outside of the metro area who also want
to hold a mini-PLUG get together to also try and watch the stream
(again, if it works!! :) ) and chat with other like-minded people around
them. We're conscious that we're a big state, and not everyone can make
it into Perth for a PLUG meeting; if you're in another region and would
like to welcome others to discuss/debate/(dis)agree on Linux & Open
Source then let us know and you can host a regional gathering of PLUG.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to