[plug] PLUG Meeting on Tuesday 13th December: Mon-KeyTest at UWA

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Dec 8 14:00:50 WST 2011

Hello all,

The time has come again for the next PLUG presentation; this time we're
back at *Cameron Hall/The University Computer Club at The University of
Western Australia*. The talk starts at *7pm*. As always, all are welcome
- free event, etc.

PLUG member *John McCabe-Danstead* has written some software
(*Mon-Keytest*) to find bugs in GUI software. It works by sending random
keypresses to the application, and waits for it to crash, and then finds
the smallest subset of the keypresses needed to reproduce the crash.
This software is most likely to be of interest to people who like to
compile the latest versions of upstream software, test it and submit bug
reports. The webpage is at: http://dansted.co.cc/Mon-Keytest.html

Directions to the venue:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211025271466846465617.0004a992f65b82f9824a6&msa=0

The AV crew will be attempting to stream the talk live on-line; please
hang out on IRC in #PLUG (Gimpnet, irc.plug.org.au) to chat back to us.
I suspect that afterwards we'll be heading to Broadway pizza and having
a PLUG committee meeting to which everyone is welcome to come along and
have a chat.

Being December this is the last meeting of the year before the Annual
General Meeting in January; "formal" notice due out early next week.
Many thanks to our Secretary, Peter Lyons, for sending out reminders to
members to nominate for the Committee for 2012; in accordance with the
Constitution (this remains unchanged in the proposed new constitution).
If you're looking to help shape PLUG then please put your name in the
hat for any (or several) positions now.

It's been a pretty busy year for PLUG, and keeping up the effort here's
the current schedule (in the PLUG calendar on the web site[1]):

    January: AGM
    January: PLUG In the Pub - social meet up
    February: Moodle presentation
    March: Possible special panel event
    March: PLUG Open Source and Free Software themed Quiz Night (PLUG In
    The Pub)
    April: AutoFS

We've still got funds to fly a speaker in from over east thanks to Rusty
- some of us will be sounding out potentials at LCA in January -- unless
you have a favourite and can get a membership consensus!

There's plenty more news, but this email is long enough so... see you
Tuesday evening.

  James
[1] Yes, the address for the calendar did change as Google managed to
muck up our account - they somehow made a Google Apps user with the same
username as our Calendar account, and no one at Google seems to
understand that we don't want a Google Apps account - just the Postini
mail filtering and a Google Calendar... we're trying to get this sorted
out but their support is taking a while to understand and resolve this.
--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>