[plug] planning software

Bernd Felsche bf_plug at felsche.org
Mon Dec 12 00:50:12 WST 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:40:58 Gavin Chester wrote:
> Looking for advice on a linux gpl (of course) app to help with
> planning all stages of building a house. I am engaging
> contractors, but have designed it myself and want control and a
> record of all the elements of the build, such as specifying all
> the detail like plumbing diameters, fixtures, etc. In other words,
> an app to encompass the generalities and have nested within it
> minute details room by room.

Are you an Engineer or architect?
You should be looking for a project management package.

Capable of handling a building specification.
Presumably you'll also want to track costs.
And you may want to schedule purchases to contain finance costs.

Buildings take considerable time to construct. Materials need to
arrive in time to be used for construction. So you also need to
manage things like labour times, holidays, etc. etc.

The contractors doing the construction can provide estimates of how
long each stage of construction will take. A construction manager
will be able to overlap construction tasks to minimise overall
construction time, without the tradies stepping in each others'
lunchboxes. There is always the danger of worksite congestion.

Even the best-designed software package doesn't have that
appreciation of detail built in. Simply because there are external
variables, unique to each construction. Knowledge is data. Data is
not nous.

Put a construction manager's knowledge into a computer and an expert
will benefit. But it becomes a dangerous instrument in the hands of
those who don't have an understanding of the business factors.

I'm working with OpenERP on a production management module for their
OpenERP application. That module is still 6 months away from alpha.
The main application can handle documents, purchases, etc. Even
simple bills of materials.

But it's inadequate for managing complicated jobs. Which is why I
designed a proper manufacturing/project management module.

For a one-off construction job, I'd stick to paper and whiteboard(s)
as well as bills of materials taken directly off the (electronic)
drawings.

If you do not have a professional construction manager (and do not
have the experience to do it yourself) then you are liable to
experience substantial cost and schedule over-runs.

\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
 X   against HTML mail     | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \  and postings          |  --HL Mencken