[plug] What language to learn?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Feb 24 13:05:15 WST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 06:04, Marcos Raul Carot Collins
<marcos.carot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to learn a programming language that is both widely used in FOSS
> and is also in good demand in the job market.  What is in high demand these days other than .Net?

In FOSS?  Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, Java, and C are all pretty broadly
used.  If you want to figure that out, though, play about with this:
http://www.ohloh.net/languages?query=&sort=projects

As to "also in the job market", the set is about the same.  Really,
though, one of the things that gets you hired is being good, more than
the specific language you know.  Heck, if you really want job
security, consider investing in COBOL.  It isn't widely learned any
longer, but there is … well, "a lot of COBOL" would be an
understatement.

Regards,
     Daniel
--