[plug] Multiple Concurrent Linux Distributions

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jan 3 04:44:01 WST 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 23:06, Fred Janon <fjanon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you are up for a challenge early this 2011...
> http://teddziuba.com/2011/01/multiple-concurrent-linux-distros.html

I use schroot a whole bunch to build applications for multiple
versions of Debian, Ubuntu, and RPM distributions; it works wonders.
When that isn't sufficient, my preference is for OpenVZ (or LXC, these
days) that provides a single kernel "container" solution that isolates
the PID, file system and network namespaces between the main system
and the "guest" nodes - a chroot that also works for more than just
files.

They have pretty much the same level of costs, and perform about as
well, but can be more robust: don't accidentally 'kill -9 0' inside a
chroot or anything. ;)

Regards,
    Daniel
--