[plug] phone synchronisation

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:04:16 WST 2011

And if looking for NextG. Telstra sells the HTC Desire outright
(unlocked too) for about $800 (or about that when I got mine the week
it came out). If Telstra bloat annoys you, it's very quick and easy to
root with a stock HTC rom which gives you lots more flexability and a
much cleaner phone. I've found the NextG reception to be average. I
still have a Nokia 6120 for poor reception areas, but everywhere I
went in WA the Desire worked fine.

As others have mentioned, you can use WiFi where ever you can get a
connection, and mobile data when away from home. As I'm out in the
country, I'm on GSM Optus on my Android (the NextG sits in a 3G modem
for internet) and I can check emails and facebook (Slowly) from the
HTC Desire over GSM. So if you have lots of WiFi around, and can deal
with slow internet when away from home, then you don't need to even
need telstra.

I think others have said enough about sync. Calendars/Emails/Contacts
all sync nicely. With the Desire (and I believe other HTC phones),
Facebook and Normal contacts can be linked into one, so you don't even
need everyones ph number if they publish it via facebook. What really
impressed me was when we created the PLUG calendar, it automatically
started syncing to my phone once I added it to my Gmail account, no
action needed on the phone. Very useful for reminding me when things
are coming up.

Tim

On 5 January 2011 13:01, Scott Middleton <scott at assuretek.com.au> wrote:
> If you want cheap
> I think there is an unlocked sub $200 android (2.2 froyo) based pre-paid
> phone at dick smiths. Huawei U8150
> Don't know much about it but it sounds like you don't have much to lose if
> it is crap.
>
> Scott Middleton
> Managing Director
> Linux Consultants Pty Ltd t/as AssureTek
> Email - Scott at assuretek.com.au
> Phone - 1300 551 696
> Mobile - 0400 212 724
>

> On 5 January 2011 10:45, Mark O'Shea <mark at musicalstoat.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:18:25AM +0800, Paul Dean wrote:
>> > iCal to Android, no go, the market apps that say they convert ics to the
>> > HTC/Other Calendars don't work, fortunately I didn't pay for it.
>> >
>> > iCal to Gmail(calendar), yay it works, you have 3 options,
>> >       1. GMail can open and ics file, but only updates every 8hrs or so,
>> > not good for a cal sync.
>> >       2. Import your iCal file each time you change it, WTF, time
>> > waster.... not REAL sync.
>> >       3. GMail account - Perl Script/Cron job on server.
>> > #3 is the way I went, I've written a nice perl script that auto checks
>> > my ical file from Claws on my server every 10mins.
>>
>> For those using iCal (may not be of use to the OP) I just added my google
>> calendar as the default calendar in iCal.  Any changes appear on my android
>> phone, no messing about with anything, no need for gmail to get involved.
>>
>> --
>> Mark

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia