[plug] IPv6 Day and questions

Delan Azabani delan at azabani.com
Mon Jan 24 19:40:36 WST 2011

On 01/24/11 18:52, Fred Janon wrote:
> Could someone tell me what we will have to do to be IPV6 ready? Change modems/routers, install another network stack on Linux and Windows?

The Linux kernel has had stable IPv6 support for some time already. I
use Gentoo with a custom kernel, so I'm unsure of other distros' choices
for the kernel config and whether it includes IPv6 by default. The IPv6
kernel config options can be found in Networking Support, Networking
Options, The IPv6 protocol.

NetworkManager has IPv6 support finished on July 28, 2009 (according to
fedoraproject.org).

The fedora project hosts 'dhcpv6', a dhcp client/server with IPv6
capability. It has been deprecated in favour of ISC's official dhcp
client/server package, version 4.1.0 and later, but Gentoo has 4.0.1 and
4.1.0 versions hard masked because it's still quite 'rough at the edges'.

Windows support for IPv6 is somewhat shoddy, as built-in, user-space
applications for network management in Windows have inconsistent IPv6
configuration, even though the Windows kernel has IPv6 support. Another
thing to note is that Windows has little support for pure IPv6, and
often relies on IPv4 and a dual stack in the background.

> I use Internode and TPG, any info on their IPV6 readiness and availability for users?

Internode has had full, official IPv6 support since July 18, 2008
(wikipedia, IPv6 deployment).

I am unsure of TPG support for IPv6, though there is some discussion
about initial IPv6 support (though it's not advertised).

--
Thanks and best regards,
Delan Azabani