[plug] outlook cannot connect to imap server on Suse Linux

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:26:33 WST 2011

Hi John.

On 22 June 2011 01:31, Jon Miller <jonl711 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've had to reinstall the server from the ground up since I could not
> get he old drive working.
> I've installed Suse Linux Enterprise Server and also installed Postfix with
> imap.  I've activated imap in /etc/xinetd.d/imap and only activate that
> protocol, not the pop services.

Again, this doesn't tell us WHICH imap server you are using. Postfix
only handles the SMTP side of things, not IMAP. Each IMAP server does
things differently. My preference is dovecot which has a nice
dovecot-postfix (in Debian/Ubuntu) package that assists in setting
them up together.

> I'm getting errors on the server stating:
> postfix/qmgr[13643]: warning: connect to transport smtp: Connection refused

This seems to suggest that you haven't allowed connections to the smtp
part of postfix. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22840
for a possible solution, otherwise google that error message for many
possible solutions.

> On the client it does not go any further than "checking for new mail in
> subscribed folder on Mail.
>
> I know I can telnet to the port 143 and get connected, however, outlook
> cannot access the imap server is the error I'm getting, it keeps asking for
> the password to the server and it just does not accept it.
> Are there certain folders that is supposed to be in the users home folder?
> If so where can I get them.

I would seriously look at using imaps (imap over SSL) which is on port
993. Then you need to be monitoring the server logs for your imap
server to see why you can't get connected/authenticated. For me, that
would be /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/mail.err

Tim

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia