[plug] Great Southern Linux Users

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Wed Mar 2 12:27:15 WST 2011

Hi all,

Is it just me or is the list a bit quiet lately?

Some of you may know I run a small computer business in Katanning.  I
was working from home but moved into a new shop just before Christmas.
It has taken me a while to settle in but I'm starting to find my feet...

Anyhow, as an avid Linux supporter, I've been promoting Linux to many of
my customers and am happy to report that more than half of the computer
repairs, upgrades & reloads so far this year have gone out the door with
Linux Mint installed.

In fact, I have been getting so much interest, customers are starting to
ask for Linux when they bring their computers in.

The most common question I get is "Where can I learn about Linux" (along
with general computer skills), so I have decided to start running weekly
"Computers for beginners" sessions in my shop every Thursday evening.  I
have  a training room with 6 PC's running Linux Mint and will be running
my first session this Thursday between 6 - 8 Pm

These sessions will not just be Linux specific.  They will be general
purpose "beginner" sessions, using the Internet, E-mail, Word
Processing, Online chat, Photo editing, etc.....   on Linux machines.
If there is enough interest I'll probably start running more advanced
Linux sessions as time goes on.

So, if there are any Linux users within reasonable range of Katanning,
who would like to get involved, let me know.  There is a small fee (to
cover some of my costs) but PLUG members may attend free.....

Photo: http://gscomputers.com.au/sites/default/files/training_room.jpg

You can contact me on/off list, or call me in my shop: 08 98217306

Cheers,
Peter