[plug] AV Project inaugural hackfest: Wednesday 16th March

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Mar 11 21:00:26 WST 2011

Hello all,

As announced at the February meeting (and on the mailing list) and
mentioned again at this week's meeting, PLUG has started an AV project
to put together a single room, multi-camera, Linux/open source based
streaming video studio. We're starting by modelling on what has been
done before, using DVswitch, DV cameras, and a TwinPact 100 screen
capture device. http://www.plug.org.au/projects/video

PLUG has purchased the TwinPact 100, a wireless lapel mic, and a pair of
cheap firewire cards so we can retro-fit some old PCs. The first stab at
this is with borrowed cameras and other equipment; and if we can make a
working effort out of this, we'll put forward a grant proposal to Linux
Australia to purchase equipment instead of borrowing.

The aim is to be in a position to stream the monthly PLUG talks live
from wherever we are meeting to help those members who cannot attend
have an option of watching, either live, or pre-recorded. This also
affords PLUG the opportunity to practice and prepare for any future
events that may require video streaming, such as any conference in a few
years time for example! Our goal is to make the project into a shopping
list of equipment so that the set-up can be easily replicated (with
sufficient funds spent wisely).

*Our first attempt to start to hook together some of this is going to be
this Wednesday*, back at Artifactory at 8/16 Guthrie Street (down the
side of the building at the back of the block). There's plenty of
parking, and it's on the ground floor. If you're interested in helping
put this together, please come along. The AV project also has its own
mailing list at http://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/av. If you
have an old DV camera you no longer need, tripod(s), or an old PC
(something from the last 5 years) then we could do with that as well
until such time as we're able to purchase new equipment!

There's plenty to work on with this project; coding effects, operating
equipment, making up useful tools, and even helping brand the video (ie,
with a PLUG logo & theme).

I'm trying not to spam the main PLUG list too much with this, so if you
have any questions, please join us on the AV project list, and join us
on Wednesday.

  James
PS: This Wednesday's hack meet is in the PLUG calendar on the web site.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to