[plug] Hackintosh - update and linux questions

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Mar 16 09:16:58 WST 2011

Hi Ari,

Unless you actually own a copy of OS X, making a Hackintosh as you describe
is not legal as I understand it.

Furthermore, I'm unsure what the legalities are of running OS X on non-Apple
hardware, since there is going to be a breach of the EULA and likely the
DMCA when you patch the image.

As an Open Source user, you should be aware of rights and privileges, more
so than most other computer users today. Open Source and Free Software does
not mean illegal, in fact, far from it - these enshrine specific
requirements and obligations on the person distributing the software and in
my opinion you should do some further research before you jump into this.

Having said all that, what exactly do you need to achieve, since "things" is
not particularly specific.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Ari <sothisistheinternet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Updates - I'm trying to follow these tutorials on getting my EeePC 1000H
> running with Snow Leopard:
>
> http://www.enik.ch/2009/10/osx-10-6-1-snowleopard-on-the-eee-1000he-part-1/
>
> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234610
>
> However, it appears to require access to a computer already running OSX.
> There has to be  ways to do these things using linux, right? I've installed
> hsfplus-tools on my FC14 file server and formatted an 8GB usb stick as HSF+.
> I have the Snow Leopard DVD imaged to an .iso file to be transferred to the
> USB stick. But there are other 'things' done with the Mac 'disk utility'
> program that I'm hoping for some help identifying and finding linux
> alternatives. Can anyone give me some tips?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ari
>
> On 4/03/2011 11:42 PM, Ari wrote:
>
>> So, I've got my multiboot system going with Ubuntu and three flavours of
>> windows, but it's just not enough. I neeeeed more. I need a Hackintosh.
>>
>> I don't think I'm adept enough to get it running with the old Athlon XP
>> 2800+ hardware the other OSes are running on, so I am probably going to need
>> to replace the CPU+Motherboard+RAM (maybe video, too, not sure if I can get
>> on-board video working if it's even available). I've never worked with
>> virtualisation before, so I doubt I'll be successful getting it running on
>> my more recent Athlon 64 X2 5000 system, or under Fedora on another (but
>> older) athlon 64 3600 system.
>>
>> Does here anyone have experience with getting an ultra cheapie core2 duo
>> based system running Snow Leopard? (picked it up today at the Apple Store)
>>
>> On another note, is anyone here planning on dumping/selling off an old
>> core2duo with an Asus or gigabyte board?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ari

Onno Benschop

()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au