[plug] PLUG Talk 12 May (was: Re: Quiz Night Results)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Mar 30 17:55:29 WST 2011

Hi Brett

On 30/03/11 17:00, James Bromberger wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 4:25 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Is that a meeting of the UCC, or a meeting at the UCC?
>
> At the UCC (Technically, The Loft above UCC) of PLUG - Harry's Talk - as
> on the calendar on the PLUG web site.

As James says, it is a PLUG talk. Although not strictly Linux, the GPL license
of the QP framework means it is freely available for open source projects. If
you are doing firmware design and coding on very small micro-processors (that
will never run Linux) then I've found the framework interesting to play with
for a number of reasons that I'll be talking about.

If you're not an embedded programmer but you are interested in starting out
then this talk may provide a starting approach. While looking around at new
ways to structure embedded code with small resources I came across Miro
Samek's book. The book is a useful reference because it describes the various
other ways embedded code is structured and the advantages and pitfalls of each.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780750687065/Practical-UML-Statecharts-in-CC++

A very small group of us meet occasionally and talk about Statecharts and the
projects we are working on so there is also an opportunity to do more through
that group. James discussed doing a PLUG talk and I've spoken to a few people
who participate in PLUG that are interested in embedded coding so I proposed
the talk. Come if it interests you! :-)

All the best
Harry