[plug] Accidental reboot

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue May 10 15:21:12 WST 2011

I have a number of machines I routinely use, and a number of virtual
machines inside those. I've lost count of the number of times I've run
"sudo reboot" thinking I was logged into a guest and taken down the host
server.

I've tried all sorts of tricks with /sbin/reboot and /sbin/shutdown to
try and stop me doing dumb things to no avail.. then this afternoon it
hit me.

The system's path is :/bin:/sbin:/..so on

Every user (including root when using an interactive shell) has the path
prepended with /usr/local/bin.

Put together a quick /usr/local/bin/reboot
#!/bin/bash
echo Surprise!

Problem solved. Why did it take me so long to think of it?