[plug] Accidental reboot

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Wed May 11 09:35:09 WST 2011

<Snip> - Brad Campbell
It is the devil's tool.
</Snip>

<Snip> - Bret Busby
like a flesh eating disease.
</Snip>

I’m surprised to see so much hate of the sudo command. I would
definitely say I’m a user not an expert/guru/whatever but I had always
believed that sudo was better/safer because:

1)	It requires each user to use their own password rather than su
where the root password must be used/shared.
2)	Which commands can be executed and by whom can be controlled in the
sudoers file; I guess you could do this with groups as well but I
think the sudoers file would be easier to manage.
3)	All usage of sudo is logged, while use of su is logged I *believe*
what was done with su is not? Or at least not directly i.e. if two
people use su at the same time you can’t tell who ran what because
both show up as ‘root’ in the logs.

I’m happy to be proven wrong and learn new safer ways of doing things though.