[plug] Followup from talk last night - NAT64 RFC

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:26:13 WST 2011

Hey Guys,

It would appear I missed an important recent RFC re: IPv6 while
preparing my talk.

The NAT64 RFC was published in late April.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6144

Framework for IPv4/IPv6 Translation

Abstract

   This note describes a framework for IPv4/IPv6 translation.  This is
   in the context of replacing Network Address Translation - Protocol
   Translation (NAT-PT), which was deprecated by RFC 4966, and to enable
   networks to have IPv4 and IPv6 coexist in a somewhat rational manner
   while transitioning to an IPv6 network.

So it would appear that a sane translation mechanism will exist moving forward.

Carl G

NB: In my defense, if was published after i'd done the bulk of my RFC trawling