[plug] Questions about GING and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat May 14 12:26:09 WST 2011

Hello.

In looking for information about the current Debian stable installable
CD, I found references to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and GING.

With, from what I understand, the removal of hardware drivers from the
Debian 6 kernel ("you can install our operating system, but you have
find, get, and install all of the hardware drivers for your computer
system and peripherals, before you start to install our operating
system"), I am looking at alternatives to Debian itself.

I am therefore wondering whether anyone has experience with Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD and GING, and, whether the FreeBSD kernel includes the
necessary relevant hardware drivers (if it doesn't recognise the
optical (CD/DVD) drive, then it is no good, from the start), and,
whether on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and GING, the GNOME interface can
replace the KDE interface, and, whether GING, in being available as a
LiveCD (I am not sure whether we have to build the image, or, whether
a downloadable iso image for immediately writing to a CD, is
available), is installable, like the Ubuntu LiveCD being installable.

>From looking a little further, GING appears to have ceased development
in around 2005, about the same time (from what I understand) as
GNOPPIX.

So, unless anyone knows of GING having a (relatively) current version,
I suppose this becomes a query about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

So, what can people with experience of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, tell me of
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and how it compares to Debian 5 and Debian 6?

I had previously looked at published information about FreeBSD, but
that version of BSD, along with the other publicly available versions
of BSD, appear too difficult and complicated for someone like me, to
deal with.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby