[plug] 64 Bit Upgrade of Ubuntu

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:16:33 WST 2011

I don't believe it is possible.
However, a clean install can be made as much like an old install if you want.
Use dpkg to get the list of packages (look at dpkg --get-selections)
Backup your /etc, your /var and /home. (Ideally you'd have /home on
it's own partition.
Probably also use debconf to spit out it's config details for
installed packages as well.

Then do clean install, restore package list, (restore debconf config
first), compare differences between /etc/ and your /etc/ backup.
Restore /var bits that you need.

Done

Tim

On 14 May 2011 16:41, Dion Curchin <tenzero at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi, Google isn't being all that helpful today.
>
> So. Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade Ubuntu Natty from 32 Bit to
> 64 Bit? All the google results suggest that it can't be done and that a
> clean install is required. However all the results seem to be old, like 2008
> kind of old.
>
> I don't really get why such an upgrade can't be done though. The
> dist-upgrade process replaces the kernel, system binaries and drivers, so
> why can't that be done and simply replace those things for the latest
> version in 64 bit?
>
> Any thoughts smart people?
>
> Cheers.
> Dion.