[plug] 64 Bit Upgrade of Ubuntu

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Sat May 14 18:17:22 WST 2011

On 14/05/11 14:41, Dion Curchin wrote:
> Hi, Google isn't being all that helpful today.
>
> So. Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade Ubuntu Natty from 32
> Bit to 64 Bit? All the google results suggest that it can't be done
> and that a clean install is required. However all the results seem to
> be old, like 2008 kind of old.
>
> I don't really get why such an upgrade can't be done though. The
> dist-upgrade process replaces the kernel, system binaries and drivers,
> so why can't that be done and simply replace those things for the
> latest version in 64 bit?
>
> Any thoughts smart people?
>
> Cheers.
> Dion.
Hi Dion,

As far as I know it isn't possible to upgrade a 32bit system to a 64bit
system.  Yes, the dist-upgrade process can swap out kernels, etc, but
most of the apps have been compiled to run on a 32bit system...  Just
upgrading the kernel and some system binaries would still break the
'system' as a whole...

I think you are better off just starting with a fresh 64 bit installation.

Cheers,
Peter