[plug] 64 Bit Upgrade of Ubuntu

Dion Curchin tenzero at iinet.net.au
Sun May 15 10:12:27 WST 2011

On 14/05/11 18:16, Tim wrote:
> I don't believe it is possible.
> However, a clean install can be made as much like an old install if you want.
> Use dpkg to get the list of packages (look at dpkg --get-selections)
> Backup your /etc, your /var and /home. (Ideally you'd have /home on
> it's own partition.
> Probably also use debconf to spit out it's config details for
> installed packages as well.
>
> Then do clean install, restore package list, (restore debconf config
> first), compare differences between /etc/ and your /etc/ backup.
> Restore /var bits that you need.
>
> Done
>
> Tim

Thanks Tim,

I do have /home on its own partition and I had thought of fetching a
dpkg -get-selections to help restore from a clean install.

I had not thought to back up and selectively recover /etc and /var.

I get backing up and comparing /etc now that I think about it. Although
/etc is holding configuration type information which I can't see a
reason it would change between 32 & 64 bit. So I would only really be
looking at recovering post install customisations to /etc. Is that correct?

However and this shows a gap in my knowledge, but what could be in /var
that is worth keeping? Apart from maybe logs.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Cheers.
D.