[plug] Proxy server

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Wed May 18 11:46:21 WST 2011

On 18/05/11 10:14, Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 10:08 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
>> Hi Garry,
>>
>>> I don't know iptables if that's the answer. Is there a linux based
>>> application to set something like this up ?
>> Just:
>>
>>   ssh -D 1080<some-server-in-au>
>>
>> Then configure your browser to use localhost:1080 as a SOCKSv5 proxy.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Jeremy
> <shameless promo>
>
> If you need a server in au, why not join PLUG and get a shell account?
>
> </shameless promo>
>

> Tim bowden

AFAIK, I *am* one of the people with a financial membership...

So "ssh -D 1080 <some-server-in-au>" will get me a tunnel bound and
forwarded (thanks, man), does this act as a tunnel to make it look as
though I'm in Aus, as I am seeking? So the traffic just pops out at
<some-server-in-au>? Couldn't be that easy, surely?

Who is the person looking after the PLUG machine (time for a Shameless
plug, anyone?) these days?

Garry.