No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

If PINE crashes during a download, no messages are removed from the
mail server. We were off the net for about a month, at one stage, and I
ended up with hundreds of megabytess of emails being downloaded, through
repeated attempts, and multiple copies of downloads occurring; somewhere
around 8-10 copies of each message. PINE is great for many things,
but the filters sometimes present problems. These problems can occur
when the amount of email to download, exceeds a certain volume (I think,
at that time, we had about 30MB of email, to download), or, when
archiving at the start of a month.

With the 30MB of messages, the workaround that I had to use, in the end,
was two-tiered; to download from the ISP to our mail server, the mailbox
at the ISP had to be split into blocks, for downloading separately, as
the same thing happened in trying to retrieve the mail from the ISP;
fetchmail could not cope with the volume, and did not flush; it copies,
and then flushes when the download is complete, so multiple copies were
downloaded from the ISP, until the volume was split (I think, into about
5MB blocks).

The second tier of the workaround that I had to use, was to delete all
of my filters, and re-implement them, one by one, to whittle away the
messages, until I was down to a few hundred messages. I am not sure,
but, from memory, there were somewhere around 17-20,000 messages in
total, to download.