[plug] Webmail

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Nov 16 15:07:17 WST 2011

On 16/11/11 13:36, Ian Kent wrote:

> Yeah, RedHat uses Zimbra and we have well over 3000 users.
>
> Only problem I see is that third party mail application integration
> isn't great. I have problems with the Evolution calendar, for example.
>
> The web interface is fine but, as is the case with all web based mail,
> it's not really workable when you need to scan through high volume
> mailing lists, but then neither is Evolution.

I've migrated my old man away from Outlook and over to the "Zimbra Desktop" client (windows). I use
that for the ZImbra integration (Linux / OSX).

I also have the account registered in Thunderbird, but I have not bothered to try the Calendar as
the Zimbra app does the job.

There are a few minor annoyances with the Zimbra desktop app, but it's well enough put together that
they are tolerable. I never managed to see eye to eye with Evolution. It just felt like a solution
looking for a problem.

We only use it for the company mail, so I don't have to struggle with high volume lists. I use
thunderbird and dovecot IMAP for my personal stuff (and a huge .procmailrc)