[plug] Back again,Fedora 16 help please

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Nov 26 11:03:59 WST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 09:34 +-0800, Ian Kent wrote:
+AD4 On 25/11/2011, at 10:33 PM, Chris Griffin +ADw-griffinster+AEA-gmail.com+AD4 wrote:
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 Greetings good folk,
+AD4
+AD4 Hi, probably can't help but thought I'd share the pain.
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4
+AD4 +AD4 I have just installed Fedora 16, I was still running Fedora 14. I hate the new Gnome, cannot find all the thing I was using easily and I cannot use the bars at the top and bottom of the screen as I did before, because they do not exist.
+AD4
+AD4 Yeah, tell me about it+ACE
+AD4 I have to wonder about the developers, what are they thinking.
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 Switched to KDE, better but i still cannot find some of the old faithfuls. Some questions I am still struggling with if I could please...
+AD4 +AD4 First, how do I tell it that each time I log in I want it to default to KDE, it keeps going back to Gnome.
+AD4
+AD4 Don't know but there used to be kde equivalent to gdm might be worth looking around.
+AD4 You would probably need to remove gdm if you still can't work out how to set the default.

Welcome back from the dark side.    +ADs--)

The gdm-alike is called kdm, but exactly what you have to do to make it
the default, I don't know, since I haven't touched fedora at all except
to take a brief look at 13 - before that I did run RH 7.2
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 OpenVPN seems to be installed and I have the config info I was using before but how do I set it up and get it to start at boot time. Much of the old way of starting services has gone?
+AD4
+AD4 Yes, I saw that too but I can't start mine at startup because I use a token.
+AD4 This is no doubt due to the move to systemd but if you had a SysV init script to do it before systemd will still run it if it's enabled. I don't think there is a separate script run at the end of the startup anymore so you would need to write a simple init script.
+AD4
+AD4 Ian
+AD4 +AF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXw

--
Richard Meyer

+ACI-Peace is one of those brief, glorious moments in history when everybody
stands around reloading.+ACI

Linux Counter user +ACM-306629