[plug] Linux Certifications

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Mon Nov 28 13:22:57 WST 2011

Last year I tried to enrol in Canonical's advanced course (something
like the Ubuntu Professional now at
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/training/course-descriptions), but the
web interface failed after taking my money (later refunded). The
course never ran (numbers I guess), and to date I've still not done a
Linux course. I compared it carefully with RedHat's equivalent
offering, and it looked a little better for my needs (generic
GNU/Linux skills rather than any particular distro), but of course
things have probably been tweaked a bit since then.

My needs have changed too - I'm now a FreeBSD admin so won't be doing
any GNU/Linux courses any time soon!

As for particular advice to OP, I reckon it's useful to compare the
curricula of two or more different courses (I used RedHat, Ubuntu and
hmm Oracle I think) which seem reasonably good at first glance. Work
out your known unknowns (skills & knowledge you know you want to
learn) and how they map onto the curriculum of each. You'll probably
discover some unknown unknowns along the way, which is a good bonus.
All due credit to Donald Rumsfeld.

IMHO The value of a cert is its representation and encapsulation of
knowledge you have (or gain while training for it). The knowledge
itself is the valuable stuff. The cert merely certifies to someone who
doesn't know you that you have that knowledge.

HTH,
Greg.

--
Gregory Orange