[plug] Linux Certifications

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Mon Nov 28 13:24:25 WST 2011

I'm biased, but I went RHCE.

The fundamentals are similar across Linux distributions anyway...

I've pushed my certification as "industry recognised', "corporate recognised" as remotely aware business people have usually heard of it, and that the timed practical exam means I'll work well under pressure.
The RHCE has an 80% pass mark, and you must get (AFAICR) 75% in each of the three components - Break/Fix, Written, Fresh Install (given a DVD and a feature-set request) - meaning I have practical knowledge (as opposed to memorising a book or a "braindump" exam). Unfortunately the exam details are NDA'd (oh, the OSS irony) but I got mine through Open Systems, so they should be able to give more details.

Regards,

Craig F.