[plug] linux boot cd to access macbook?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Oct 3 10:26:58 WST 2011

Just so you know, booting OSX single-user mode is achieved by powering on
your Mac while holding down Command-S.

You will get a full-screen unix console. Many commands work the same as
under linux, including man :)

(Assuming of course that your boot disk isn't completely hosed :-|

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Daniel <cottmain at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 02, 2011 02:29:26 PM Patrick Coleman wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Daniel <cottmain at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Is there a linux boot disk like Knoppix that I can put in a macbook and
> > > boot and access mac files?
> >
> > If you have a Firewire port, hold down T at startup to enter Target
> > Disk mode, then connect it to another Mac with a Firewire cable. All
> > the drives on your Macbook will appear as removable disks on the
> > second machine.
> >
> > Otherwise a normal Ubuntu livecd or similar should work (if it's an
> > x86 processor?)
> >
> > HTH,
> > -Patrick
>
> Success ..
> Thanks for all your replies. I don't have a firewire disk. I have the
> bought
> mac disks but was hoping to find a linux boot cd method. [years of knowing
> knoppix disc could recover data became a security blanket]. When I hold
> down
> 'C' at boot the macbook pro spits out - Knoppix 6.7.1, Ubuntu Atlernate
> 1110
> beta2 and System Rescue x86 2.3.1 .... so I may have a hardware issue with
> the
> internal cd. Fortunately a usb external cd [Lenovo] so when I hold down the
> Alt key at boot it offers the usb cd [they call it a Windows CD] and
> knoppix
> boots successfully. Files are viewable.  Thank you.
>
> Daniel

Onno Benschop

()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au