[plug] Web / Database advice sought

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Sep 2 22:07:37 WST 2011

On 01/09/11 17:10, Ben Keith wrote:
> To add some other options for Brad to consider:
>
> Django: https://www.djangoproject.com/
>
> This is a python based framework.  Haven't used it myself but seems quite popular.  Would let you
> leverage your existing python knowledge.  Pretty sure they will be some Django gurus floating
> around PLUG(?)
>
> Hopes this helps,

It did indeed. I had just started looking at Django when your post came through.
I had a brief look at Ruby, and played a bit with wavemaker also.

Everything I read about using python seemed to point to Django as the one to start with if you had
to start from scratch and were not already into some other toolkit/framework.

I've opted for a pairing of Django and pyjamas. I'm embarrassed to say it took me nearly 7 hours to
get a basic hello world (using JSONRPC and an already established postgres database) working. On the
other hand, now I have the tin tacks hammered in it appears to be very easy to build on the basic
framework leveraging the limited Python experience I have.

Django makes the database bit relatively easy, and there was all of about 20 lines of code required
to plug a jsonrpc server into it. Pyjamas looks very cool (as cool as web interfaces can be anyway -
I'm still not sold on them)

Wavemaker looks really cool and interesting though.

In the end the combination of Django and Pyjamas is something I can install with apt-get on an 18
month old distribution and don't have to faff around with additional libraries or dependencies.
Python is already on all of my desktops and servers and it means I can defer learning perl for
another year!

Cheers for the input :)