[plug] Apache ProxyRequests or RewriteEngine?

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 08:27:06 WST 2011

Hi Shanon,

I'm not sure if you are confused about the uses of proxyrequests and
rewrite engine?

It sounds like you have a domain somewhere (http://newexampledomain.com)
that you want to server from your home computer? You'll need to have the
DNS updated to point the domain to your home computer. If for example,
your home computer is on a dynamic ip address, and you use something
like dyndns to point a free domain to it, you can use CNAME's in DNS to
point the domain to the home computer.

i.e.

newexampledomain.com CNAME myhomecomputer.freednsprovider.com
Then you tell the apache webserver at home to listen for both domain
names (or just the newexampledomain one if you want). When a computer
accesses newexampledomain.com, it'll lookup the ipaddress and get the
CNAME, which it'll then resolve to an ip address,  but will still be
using the newexampledomain.com address.

Proxy requests is mainly used when you want another server to appear as
it's on the main server. For example:
I have exampledomain.com hosted on 1.1.1.1, but I have another server at
2.2.2.2 that contains all my source code repository browser (also a web
server). However, I want most of my web pages served from 1.1.1.1 except
I want the 2.2.2.2 to appear like it's also on the same server. I can
then use proxyrequests so that http://exampledomain.com/sourcecode will
actually fetch things from the 2.2.2.2 server, not the 1.1.1.1 server.
However, the client doesn't connect to 2.2.2.2, the 1.1.1.1 server will
fetch the content from 2.2.2.2 and send it to the client. It's often
used when for example the 2.2.2.2 server is in a private network and not
publicly accessible.

Lastly, rewriteengine is for changing what resource is actually fetched
from the server. So your client connects to
http://exampledomain.com/random/page/of/apples and the rewriteengine
matches some pattern and internally rewrites the address to
/myscript.php, and then myscript.php is responsible for serving the
content based on the url used.

I hope that all makes a bit more sense. Please try and explain exactly
what you are trying to do (using examples of what people type in the
browser, and where you want the content to come from).

Tim