[plug] Remote syslog trap

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Apr 2 07:39:39 WST 2012

G'day all,

Just another one of my 'lessons learned' mails.

My main server is a vanilla Debian install. 2 Days ago I decided I
wanted to enable remote syslog to be able to capture the logs from my
various remote devices dotted around the place. I put "-r" in
/etc/default/syslogd and wooo it worked.

Last night I noticed my entire world had pretty much stopped. The server
had ground to a halt, and anything I tried took forever (like a bind
restart took 25 minutes!)

This machine started life a lot of years and a number of Debian releases
ago when sysklogd was the default syslog daemon. Debian has since
switched to rsyslog however. As this machine has always been upgraded
rather than re-installed I never switched (or knew it was a good idea
and I should).

Turns out my reverse zone for my home network was broken and syslog was
stalling trying to reverse lookup my wireless router. This caused a 30
second pause for *every* syslog entry, stalling every other process
trying to log anything and paralyzing the machine.

After a lot of very slow straces, I finally figured out it was syslog
causing the problem and disabled remote logging. Job done.

This morning, Mr Google and I found Debian suggests rsyslog, so I
installed that and also fixed my broken reverse zone.

As the system was slowed trying to resolve my wireless router, bind
ground to a halt and caused every other lookup to fail compounding the
problem.

The symptoms on the server were very similar to those I had years ago
when I had bad blocks in my swap partition, and it took me _ages_ to
figure out what was really going on.

Regards,
Brad