[plug] grub2 and the mystery of the moving hard drives

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Apr 24 22:28:21 WST 2012

On 24/04/12 18:37, wolfbite wrote:
> HATE UUID (but can understand why for big servers and corporations
>
> small servers & users, use LABELS sooooo much easier and dont have to
> worry about order.
>
> quick google
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/using-labels-in-grub2-how-819474/

Yes but.. that does not address the problem I was solving unless I've
missed the part where it compiles a label search into the Grub2 Stage
1.5/2 and has it search for the label for grub root.

I just see where it issues set root='(hd0,1)', which is useless when
your bios drive order moves around (and why I solved it the way I did).

Happy to be re-educated though.

Personally I use UUID over labels as when swapping drives around
different machines there is just no way to get things mixed up.

That and it means I don't have to think about what to call the drive.