[plug] stateside vpn

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sun Aug 5 11:50:15 WST 2012

On 05/08/12 11:18, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I am thinking its time to setup a stateside terminating vpn for the
> wifes shopping (so traffic is "US")
>
> What are the options ... security (i.e., third partyservices/end points)
> are not really a concern, but I dont really know what the options are.

I've not had much (any) luck doing this. Same with the UK. In my
(admittedly relatively limited) experience most of these places also
check the place of issue for any potential payment sources.

My best luck has been to use bongo for forwarding, and in the case where
I could not use an australian card or paypal, use their "personal
shopper" service to purchase locally.

In both cases, I set up a cheap $10/mo VPS and used openvpn and
tinyproxy. I never managed to complete a purchase though as I was always
unable to find a way pay for the goods.

I have had great results with bongo (www.bongous.com) however.

Regards,
Brad