[plug] PLUG Newsletter for Q2 2012; presentation next week @ UCC/UWA

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Aug 10 21:00:17 WST 2012

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce we're finally pushing the *Q2 2012 PLUG
Newsletter *out the door, ready for you to read. You can download it
here (1.4 MB):
    *https://www.plug.org.au/resources/newsletters*

Many thanks to our contributing authors. We're always after people who
would like to write a review, take contribute some pictures, or author
an article for the newsletter: please contact committee at plug.org.au to
get involved.

Last week we had a solid turn out at the '/*cross-tech-group meetup*/'
held at /Space-cubed/ on St Georges Tce; the /PLUG AV Team/ were out in
force to video stream the evening, which included an intersting
presentation by Lachlan Hardy, Evangelist for Microsoft, talking about
the upcoming Windows 8 release and improvements in MSIE 10!!

*This Tuesday (14th Aug)* we have our August meeting at the *University
Computer Club at UWA*, high above the UWA Tavern (CWLH was unavailable).
If you find the tavern, walk clockwise around the fence-line until you
come to three steps leading up to a door; then climb two flights of
steps. Free parking should be available after 5pm in RED Student bays --
check signs to confirm this. PLUG VP Euan and our 2011-treasurer Jason
will be presenting a talk about... *The PLUG AV Solution,* starting at
7pm promptly (*be there from 6:30 *to get a seat). As normal, we'll be
trying to video stream and monitor IRC (#plug at irc.plug.org.au) for
questions from those unable to make it on the night.

You may have noticed that our calendar of talks on the web site has once
again filled up; many thanks to everyone who has proposed a talk.

Once again, thank you to the AV Team for their impressive work at
producing these videos that are a continuing PLUG resource and record;
to the contributors to the newsletter; the presenters who stand up and
give a talk; and the rest of the PLUG committee for ensuring PLUG runs
smoothly. If you'd like to get involved with any of this, please check
the PLUG web site (or let committee at plug.org.au know and we can point
you in the right direction).

For those of you lurking on the mailing list and have not /yet /paid
your membership ($20/year) - can we please implore you to come along and
show your appreciation of what you're getting here! PLUG survives (and
thrives) on its membership fees; the more members we have, the more
likely we can afford to fly a guest speaker in to Perth next year (we've
done it this year, and last year!).

  James
PS: Software Freedom Day is coming up in September. Check out the
newsletter.
--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>