[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Feb 9 14:23:24 WST 2012

On 9/02/2012 11:46 AM, Chris Hoy Poy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> +1, and I'm sending something similiar to my kids school as well (starting to bug me that my kids are using "ipad" even when they are referencing the android based webpad at home).
>
> I do think this is a school/teacher driven issue as well, Apple's marketing efforts in the education sector is amazing. Most of the teacher/educational staff I speak to appear to be very firmly entrenched in the ipad/iphone department, in some cases seemingly unaware of other options. (I hear teachers responding to "what's a smartphone?" with "iphone only").
>
> Admittedly *some* of the current software (particularly the recent ebook authoring application?) - seems to have really impressed teachers.
>
> This discussion needs to include teachers and schools imho :)

Indeed.

It's also a shame that this couldn't have become 3 times the number of
XOs - to help 2,700 children for the same price, and give them an open
platform to learn on instead of a closed (although very slick) platform
that's a gateway to their (parents) wallets!

  James
(Disclosure: My 1 year old has an iPad. And its a gateway to my wallet!).

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>