[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Thu Feb 9 23:46:40 WST 2012

I remember when Apples first started being popular in schools, and
everyone breathed a sigh of relief - the Windows death grip was finally
being loosened.

Now we find ourselves with the scourge of Mac lock in. This will become
especially so with the popularity of iPads. The locking is even deeper
than Windows, it's both software and hardware.

My year 12 kids, both in (different) public schools are now being
supplied with Macs too, so the Apple trend has gone beyond the private
schools and is now making major in roads into public schools too.

Conversely, there is a pragmatic side to the schools decisions, when you
see business users and trend setters rushing to get iPads it is not a
difficult choice to want your kids/pupils to be exposed to what appears
to be the business tools of the future. How many execs have you spotted
on the train with an OLPC laptop?, Linux laptop ?, even netbooks seems
so noughties now.

Android may start to gain in this space now that Samsung can actually
sell devices, but in a few years time we'll all be lamenting the lock in
of a proprietary google/android/chrome platform.

It seems that computing is determined more along fashionable lines
rather than savvy technical merit - it's probably always been like that
to an extent, but now it's much more mainstream and visible.

Regards,

Euan.