[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:42:19 WST 2012

On 09/02/12 22:58, Gavin Chester wrote:

> So, sorry to be mr negative, but you won't get anywhere with campaigns to change
> technology use and purchasing in schools :-( I despair that powerful people and
> parents have their heads too far up their proverbial to see the folly of their
> ways.

campaigns may get nowhere, or at least may not get very far ... but silence will
certainly get nowhere, while in other parts of the world (perhaps less deeply
committed to the private/corporate ideology which is almost ubiquitous here)
education departments have apparently taken up open source very heavily.

I'm studying with 18 year olds ... looking around the lecture theatres the split
is fairly even between Linux, mac and windows ... and many of the windows users
are also a bit familiar with Linux. I'm told this is a huge change from only a
few years ago. So at least those interested in computers and programming (and
entering the computing field) have changed their habits  ... despite our
schools, and our education departments, efforts to the contrary.